The VELUX Group recognises the importance of sustainable forest management as part of our efforts to protect the environment, ensure biodiversity, tackle climate change and protect the rights of local communities in forested areas.
All wood suppliers of the VELUX Group are certified according to PEFC (Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification), FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) or both. No tropical hardwood is used. It is the policy of the VELUX Group to comply fully with the EUTR regulation at all times.
The aim for 2015 was to continue sourcing a minimum of 95% of the wood required in our European factories from forests certified according to the PEFC or FSC international standards. We met the 2015 goal by sourcing 96% from certified sources. The remaining 4% is from wood defined as “controlled” by the FSC or PEFC international standards. This means that the origin of the wood is known and that it comes from non-controversial and legal sources. The goal for 2016 is to maintain the high level of certified wood in our supply chain so that a minimum of 96% of the wood comes from certified sources.
All VELUX windows are manufactured at our own factories, and all VELUX factories in Europe are FSC and/or PEFC certified. Our factories in the USA and China are not PEFC or FSC certified, but wood used there originates from controlled sources.
In Europe, where the vast majority of the wood is used, the VELUX Group maintains close cooperation with the PEFC and FSC organisations, as well as third-party verification bodies and other stakeholders. This ensures effective, sustainable and well-documented sourcing of wood throughout the complete chain of custody.
The wood used in VELUX windows is primarily Pinus sylvestris, also known as Scots Pine or Redwood. The majority of wood is sourced from Sweden, Finland, Poland and Russia and, to a lesser extent, the US, France, Norway, Estonia, Ukraine, Denmark and Germany.
In 2015, we completed a wood certification strategy process. The result is a certification strategy, defining key areas for further development and visions for the future. As a result, the target for sourcing of certified sustainable wood for our European factories is increased to 99% in 2020. The strategy includes alternative scenarios for increasing the sales of certified windows in more markets and gradually increasing the percentage of certified wood in sourcing and manufacturing over the coming years.